Banded Kuhli Loach, scientifically known as Pangio kuhlii, is a unique and intriguing freshwater fish species that has captured the fascination of aquarists for its distinctive appearance, eel-like body, and playful behavior. This loach is highly regarded for its scavenging abilities and is a popular addition to community aquariums.
- Size: Banded Kuhli Loaches are relatively small, typically reaching an adult size of about 3 to 4 inches (7.5 to 10 centimeters).
- Body Shape: They have an elongated, serpentine body with a distinctive ribbon-like appearance. Their body is cylindrical and elongated, tapering towards the tail.
- Coloration: Banded Kuhli Loaches are named for the bold, contrasting bands that adorn their body. They have a series of dark vertical bands alternating with lighter or yellowish bands, which creates a striking banded pattern.
- Finnage: They possess small dorsal and anal fins along their back and belly, and their tail fin is relatively small compared to their body.
Behavior and Temperament: Banded Kuhli Loaches are known for their shy and secretive behavior. They are primarily nocturnal, which means they are more active during the night and tend to hide during the day. They are peaceful and get along well with other non-aggressive fish species, making them excellent additions to community aquariums.
Habitat and Tank Requirements:
- Tank Size: A 20-gallon (75-liter) aquarium is suitable for a small group of Banded Kuhli Loaches. They are social fish and should be kept in groups of at least six or more individuals.
- Substrate: Provide a soft substrate like sand or fine gravel, which allows them to burrow and hide comfortably. They are known for their burrowing behavior and may disappear into the substrate when they feel threatened or during the day.
- Filtration: Efficient filtration and maintenance of water quality are essential. Banded Kuhli Loaches are sensitive to poor water conditions, so regular water changes are vital.
- Decor: Furnish the aquarium with hiding spots such as caves, PVC pipes, plants, driftwood, and rocks. They will use these structures for shelter and security.
- Water Parameters: Banded Kuhli Loaches thrive in tropical freshwater conditions with a temperature range of 75°F to 82°F (24°C to 28°C), a pH level between 6.0 and 7.5, and slightly soft to moderately hard water.
Diet: Banded Kuhli Loaches are primarily scavengers and will consume a variety of foods. Offer them high-quality sinking pellets, flakes, and granules. They also enjoy live or frozen foods like bloodworms, brine shrimp, and daphnia. Providing a balanced diet ensures their well-being.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.